Saturday, May 19, 2007

Gettin' Punk(kitty)ed!

Thursday night, Paige Heckroth was not able to do her set at Oz, leaving the evening open for other avenues of invention. I quickly IMed Punkkitty Clipper to see if she would be interested to do a set together, one that Ruby Scissor had named "Double Edged." The idea was that she and I would alternate playing little 3-song mini-sets with some good-natured trash-talking thrown in, but that it would not be a contest in any sense of the word.

Boy, did I get this thing wrong.

Let me just start off by saying that Punky played a great set. No, wait, that's the understatement of the year. She was flat-out awesome. It was, without a doubt, the best set I have ever heard her play, and she is always good. But, on this night, she was out of her mind. She was out of control. And she completely dominated me all night long. If I did not like and respect her so much, I would have been flattened. Wait. I was flattened.

I learned some pretty important lessons Thursday night. First is, this is a great idea. The interplay between Punky and I in styles, challenges, selection and panache was an incredible experience. And from all reports, entertaining as hell, too. We ended up playing for five hours, and there were many who were there start-to-finish. Second, I learned not to mess with this girl. I don't really talk trash well; in fact, I don't talk particularly well in general. She whipped this Texas-boy's ass all night long. Her infectious laugh, witty put-downs and songs aims straight at me combined to make yours truly grin and wince all at the same time. We had a war and I forgot to bring a gun. Thirdly, I learned how important it is to closely listen to another DJ. I mean, really listen. I think Punky also did the better job in this regard as she consistently answered each challenge I threw down and left me fumbling when she posed the question.

All, in all, however, it was just a fantastic evening. I believe that ideas like this are going to carry both DJ and SL listener to new areas yet unexplored in this game. And, yeah, it's definitely going to happen again. Punky and I are what I would consider to be very close friends and supporters of each other's cause, but, at least on this night, she made this man into her boy.









2 comments:

PuNkYPoWeR said...

Barely, Lemme start by saying this was the funnest set I have ever done, and also the most challenging. I was so nervous and excited about the idea and I enjoyed every minute of you putting my skills to the test. I laughed, I bit my lip and I fumbled around aimlessly by the end of the nite. My brain was so fried for TWO days. I was impressed with your willingness to stick it out long after you where tired. I had so much fun. Thank You! It wasnt even about the contest, I didnt win nor lose that day and It will always be a fun memory in my mind. I really got to take the time and hear what you where playing not just listening. You made me laugh so much, and this truely was something Im proud and thankful for. I got to see you really throw things out there for me and I had to answer your calls with a new wit and humbling about myself. You made me see what others see in me and Man.. thank you so much for giving me a challenge.. I dont feel I won or lost.. I think I got to know you on a whole new level and I thank you for allowing me to "Duel" ya...

Sasy Scarborough said...

GOOOOOO Punky , she rocks and dammit I miss all the fun stuff , but Barely I dont know you but I know Punky lol and yeah I am sooooo not suprised by what you said that it turned out exactly like that , she is a crack up all the way no matter how long or short an event she is full of beans and love

xoxox love you Kitty xoxo Sasy